Monday 16 November 2009

North Brother

Spent the weekend at Port Macquarie catching up with Chris and his familiy. Chris, in large part, is responsible for getting me into riding many years ago. Highlight for me was an 80 km "spin" which involved climbing the brutal "North Brother" at the 1/2 way point. Chris mentioned that it was 5 km at 10% - i thought he must be kidding - but that's literally what it turned out to be, from sea level to 480m on a dead track with the pitch barely deviating. I went pretty hard at the start to keep the young whipper-snapper Cain in check, but this resulted in us both blowing and I had to fight really hard just to turn the cranks on some ramps (starting to think compact for europe next year). The consistent grade reminds me of the stiff middle section of Luz Ardiden. This now probably rates as the hardest "big" climb I know of in Oz, with Buffalo (18 km but shallower) coming in second. Topped out in 22:30. The hillclimb record stands at approx 17:30, set earlier this year, where my time would have gained me 5th. Incidently, local mtber and world 24 solo champ Jason English came second in the hillclimb with ~18:00. So that's the difference in engine quality i'll be up against again next year.


Spectacular view from the top, looking north

Chris and his two young chargers - Ryan and Cain

Chasing Cain and Chris on the long drags home

Ryan enjoying the pace.

2 comments:

  1. A compact eh Dave? Now I know you are serious about the Marmotte ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Dave needs a compact, I'll have to go a motorbike.

    ReplyDelete