Tuesday 8 January 2008

Climbing in the Blueys

With the year winding down I managed to intersperse mtb activities with a bit of climbing. It was nice to get back to the blueies again. Had a good day at Piddo with Neil, Ben, Tony and Damo. I’d been attending the rock gym (St Peters) most Thursday evenings throughout the year so was not completely hopeless and riddled with Elvis-leg when we first hit the rock. Neil, as usual, was in good form, tackling the freshly ring-bolted On Edge (22), whilst the rest of us bumbled around in the low teens. None-the-less, it was most enjoyable placing gear again. On subsequent trips I performed the role of part-time belay-bitch for Anita, who impressed with several solid clean leads on 21s, 22s and 23s at Shipley Upper, Porters Pass, Bardens Lookout and The Freezer. With my fitness slowly returning I even managed to lead the odd 22 with the gear in (traditionally my bogey grade). However, my returning enthusiasm was dampened by pulling an elbow at the gym. The resultant tendonitis only got worse such that climbing took a ~ 6 week break during which I ticked the highland fling and steeled myself for Xmas – or, I should say, guzzled my way towards Xmas. I can’t recall if it’s always been this way (perhaps not a good sign), but there seemed to be a disproportionate number of parties, boozers, social engagements etc leading up to Xmas this year. I don’t think there was a day from mid Nov to Xmas that didn’t involve imbibing of the amber liquid. The arrival of two Czechs on my doorstep mid Dec didn’t help either – but that’s another story.


Tony, geared to the gills leading Angular Crack (12)

Ben belaying

Damo staying warm and offering advice from the lounge


Neil high On Edge (22)

Thawing out at the Imperial

Anita cranking Lardy Ladies Lats (22)


and in the dust at The Freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment