Thursday 30 July 2009

Cellnago V3.1?

Well - the whole replacement frame thing has become a bit farcical. I received frame V2.2, rolled around on it for a few days before taking the wheel off (as advised - allowing the glue time to mature) only to have the metal sleeve come straight off its carbon housing when the wheel was eventually removed - so much for gluing it back on. The disgruntled fellow at the shop conceded this might mean another new frame. Still waiting to pick V3.1 up - or should that be V2.1b? Hence, the weekend valley ride, as well as commuting (creeping) this week has been aboard the mtb. There has been an upside and a downside to this. The upside is that it has allowed me to fine-tune my position on the Stumpy. In mtb events past I have always succumbed at some point to a sore lower back, an unpleasant experience I have never experienced on numerous road bikes before. I had noted that relief was found in locking out the rear shock (defeating it's purpose), or by gradually raising the saddle, raising it some more and more and so on - to the point where I can barely tickle the ground with an extended toe when unclipped. But that is what I've had to do to assume a relatively similar position to the roadie, on account of the much higher bottom bracket. The result - no more lower back pain - all so obvious now that I've figured it out. That was the upside. The downside is that in a moment of brashness and stupidity - convinced of my newfound physical invincibility - I have entered the Scott24 (mid Oct), in the category specially reserved for those with no friends. Bart's immediate chortle, "solo, you nut!" I know deep down that the reality will certainly be of character-building proportions. Anyway, as my otherwise trusty 24hr henchman Lawrence will be changing nappies, and Ben is out through injury, it's now or never, and might cure me of ever wanting to participate in such a God-awful category again. Kind of like doing the Grafton-Inverell (228 km road race), although it took 2 attempts to cure me of ever wanting to do that one again.

3 comments:

  1. Solo! You'll be fine. Just aim to sleep through most of it. Doesn't raising your seat then mean that you're more hunched over to reach the bars?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a little more hunched, but the front end was compact to begin with. The post is now so high that i've had to buy a new one! After getting the bike one of the first things i did was take an inch off the post - figuring i'd never need it so long, and making it possible for the Hamster to throw his leg over it for a spin (the rear suspension limits the extent to which the post can drop).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Cellnago experience sounds like my GT experience. I think I ended up with four frames, three of which were on warranty. They were shit.

    Moral: buy a proper frame.

    ReplyDelete