Monday 15 February 2016

Berming into the deep end


The dust has barely settled from the 2015 worlds in California (held in early Oct), and the travelling circus known as WEMBO is heading south to deliver the 2016 worlds, in mid February, in Rotorua.  That's a short turnaround.  Having had a good run at Oz nationals in mid Oct, I’ve kept the engine humming over the summer months to help quash excuses for not giving Rotorua a crack (you only live once, although we’re working on that).  At the very least it would be a chance to check out trails which are described by those who’ve ridden them with almost religious reverence….bro.

After months of procrastination I finally entered, bought a second bike bag, and started thinking logistics.  I’ll be riding the 29er hardtail, with a spare set of wheels in tow, and with the 26er Anthem as backup for the backup – or as the start bike if it’s all too technical for my thumb-heavy skill set.  Anita (who is also quite at home on the 26er) and I will arrive on the Wednesday, ride the course and play tourist on the Thurs and Friday.  The race goes from Sat to Sunday, and the Monday will be a delirium of aches, groans, packing, a drive, a flight, and another drive to somehow get home.

The competition looks fierce.  The midlife crisis field (40-44) has 18 desperadoes signed up.  The extended-midlife crisis field (45-49, my field!) has another 16 no-hopers.  But don’t be deceived; close inspection reveals not a bunch of doddery old chaps on the cusp of requiring canes, but the combatant gravitas of a pack of rugby players steaming towards you.  Let me explain – and I should qualify that I knew this before entering, so I can’t complain.

The form according to all-seeing google is that two thirds of them are NZ natives with a raft of history in the bike racing department, collectively covering the full spectrum, from road, CX, XC (XCO to XCM to 24s), Enduro to DH.  Local knowledge can be particularly important on a technical track, which I’m expecting and which is packed full of pinch climbs as opposed to the longer tempo climbs I much prefer.  I reckon there’s probably half a dozen in there who will be difficult to run down.  But the real favouritism must go to (this is the Jonah Lomu – Mike Catt moment), not just one, but three entrants from Old Blighty (take a bow, Messrs Nadin, Glassey and Hynd), who collectively managed to fill all three steps of the podium of the British championships – outright, in a field over 100, just a few months ago (late Oct 2015).  Whilst, granted, some of the top British bulldogs decided not to run given their California dreamings just weeks prior, I think it’s safe to say that these three are top shelf, wont have flown round the world to discuss poultry, and will be extremely difficult to beat (even at my best I’m hardly top 10 in Oz).  But I’ll give it a crack and see if I can upset at least one of them.  After all, 24 hours can be a very long time (especially if you are hoping for it to end, or travelling so poorly that sand flies become an issue) and a lot can and might happen. 

Fingers crossed and over and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment