Monday 23 July 2007

really outa here

The lead-up to my departure was hectic , to say the least. I knew that we had a lot to accomplish before getting on the plane (packing the experiment), but I didn't anticipate doing an all-nighter in the lab the night before. I got home at about 6 am, slowly packed my bike on autopilot (lucky i've done this before), and somehow got myself to the airport with ample time before departure. Hopefully I haven't forgotten anything important. Upon resting into my allotted seat (fortuitously a window this time) i fell asleep immediately, waking up to find we were well into the air and being fed. It actually turned out to be the most restful passage of the pacific I have done, probably sleeping solidly for 2/3rd of it. When I wasn't sleeping I managed to devour to my satisfaction the Saturday Herald, something I haven't managed for some time. The Leunig cartoon of the Haneef case pretty much summed up my disgust at the current state of affairs in Johnny Howard's Australia. Here it is in case you missed it (click on it to get the full size version). And you think I'm odd for eschewing a mobile phone!

Arrived in Salt Lake City basking in ~35 C heat. Quite a contrast to Sydney. Not much humidity fortunately. Had to tear myself away from this morning's stage of the tour on TV for conference lectures - just after the start of the last climb (doh!) - only to discover that Cadel had cracked on the stage. Hopefully he'll be able to recover and still make the podium. Don't know the details yet

Beer aplenty at this end to help my aid my general state of trash'dness. Have a look at the label on this one (will require tilting one's head to the side - and possibly blowing it up). Quite appropriate I think. By the way, I left without collating the list of email addresses I might normally take with me, so if you want to say hello, shoot me a quick one and i"ll reply when I get a chance. That's it for now.
Full Suspension Ale!
My boss's home away from home, overlooking Salt Lake City.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Dave, what a rush getting out, I remember when i thought i only had a little more to go and ended up in the lab all night too (i think you also remember that night). Glad to see you got away OK. Rest well buddy, the other two lads either have or are coming down with the flu. Have a good conference and best of luck with the experiments.
    BTW - what time do you arrive in Geneva??
    CJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10:30 am
    Looks like I get in a little later than you guys. Hope the lads get over colds etc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dave, hoping you get to ready this before you leave the US. BT, GS and me will now be arriving in Geneva from London on BA726 at 11.00. it was a late change in flights due to a previous delay on another flight. I have emailed Kev with these details too. See ya soon buddy.
    Cheers, Ham

    ReplyDelete